Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, April 24, 2022

One of These Is Not Like The Others - 54, 57, 60, 64, 66, 75

One of these things just doesn't belong.  I couldn't remember if this song came from Sesame Street (it did), The Electric Company, Zoom, Ray Raynor & Friends or some other show from my childhood.  The question for today is which of these doesn't belong?

If you are a serious Kellogg's card collector, you probably know that these are the number of cards in the different Kellogg's card sets from 1970 to 1983.  

Which one doesn't belong?  That would be the 1982 set with 64 cards.  All of the other numbers are divisible by three, which means nothing here, but it also means a lot.

I picked up a Kellogg's card today from a ten-cent box.  I do know lots of the card numbers by heart because the sets are small, but that's usually for the older sets.  When I picked up the card below I automatically knew the card number because this is the one Kellogg's card that is not like the other.  It's not that it doesn't belong, but it is definitely a card on its own.


As I work on damaged Kellogg's sets and newer (1979 - 1983) sets, I place them in nine-pocket pages.  How does the Murray card differ from every other Kellogg's card?  

Kellogg's did us a favor with the 54-card sets (1972, 1973, 1974) since that is exactly 6 sheets (or three if double-siding the cards).  None of the other sets were perfectly built along those multiples. 

The 75-card sets (1970, 1971), the 57-card sets (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978) and the 66-card set (1981) all have three cards in the last nine-pocket pages.  The 60-card sets (1979, 1980, 1983) have six cards on the last sheet.

Not 1982.  Eddie Murray is stuck on his own sheet, which I can't justify, so he ends up on the back of the last sheet (cards 55 -63).  That makes it easy to remember him as card #64.



3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting fact about the 1982 set, which I just picked up at a recent show. I'm still toying with ideas on how I want to store these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that you picked up the set. The set doesn't seem to curl much and the cost of 64 top loaders seems a bit much for the newer sets. That's why I put them in plastic pages usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish Kelloggs would have made all of their baseball sets have 54 (or 63) cards, so they would fit into 9 pockets perfectly. It'd even be more perfect if Ultra Pro designed pages specifically for each of the Kelloggs card sets. I know I'm asking too much and life isn't perfect. Just wishful thinking out loud.

    ReplyDelete