Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, August 17, 2015

Happy Birthday to the Player on the Last Kellogg's Card I Needed to Complete the 1970 Set - Lots of Great Memories of Him

Today is Boog Powell's 74th birthday.  It was great to finally get his 1970 Kellogg's baseball card a few years ago.  That allowed me to complete the set.



I don't have the card listed above, but maybe someday I'll be able to get a lower graded example.

I've been to three games are Camden Yards or whatever they call that stadium nowadays.  I clearly remember that Boog was in centerfield signing for fans during the entire game.  I think he owns a rib sandwich shop or something like that.  

As a long-time NL fan, I didn't see him play as much.  He is certainly remembered for being in a lot o the Lite Beer commercials that were popular in the late 70s or early 80s.  I remember someone saying with surprise in their voice "Hey, you're Boog Powell".

Powell had some good years.  He hit 339 home runs, tied for 97th all-time, which is impressive since he played in some of the higher mound/pitcher dominated years.  

He was the 1970 AL MVP.  He also received MVP votes in five other years included 2nd place and 3rd place finishes in the voting.  

Being on two World Series winning teams with the Orioles cemented his status in Baltimore.  At the two National shows in Baltimore recently it was apparent that Boog is one of the fan's favorite Orioles.  I don't know much about that since I'm a Cubs fan and I'd need to be at least 112 years old to remember one of their World Series teams.




No comments:

Post a Comment