Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, January 29, 2017

1976 Kellogg's Card Backs - Card Numbers 01 - 03

I decided to start at the beginning this time instead of the end of the set.  Why?  No reason.

Since I found lots of these cards in cereal boxes I really like these ones.

I like the card backs, especially the card numbers which are must easier to read than in some years.  It's great that there is a picture on the back too.



01 - Steve Hargan


There is plenty of discussion about how these two cards ended up leading off the set.  It is also wondered why they weren't distributed in cereal boxes.  I'll stay away from that now and just talk about the card backs.  

Not on the card - After eight seasons in the majors Hargan ended up in the minor leagues.  Topps didn't even include him in their 1973 and 1974 sets.  He worked his way back up to the big leagues, Topps cards and a Kellogg's card.  On top of that he's card number one!



02 - Claudell Washington


Washington ran track in high school instead of playing baseball.  He needed less than two minor league seasons to get to majors.  

Not on the card - Wikipedia mentioned that he hit the foul ball that Ferris Beuller caught on his day off at Wrigley Field.  I check a video and then the box score online to confirm this.  It all checks out.  The video I saw was reversed since Harry Caray mentioned Lee Smith was pitching and the video showed him throwing left-handed and Washington batting right-handed. 

Not on the card - he was an all-star at age 20.



03 - Don Gullett

He went 15-4 in only 22 starts in 1975.  He missed two months due to a broken thumb suffered by a line drive.  He also missed time in 1970 with hepatitis.

Not on the card - His career record of 109-50 gives him the seventh highest career winning percentage.

Also not on the card - even after missing two months, he finished fifth in the 1975 Cy Young voting.


Update - I went to another card show today since last week was uneventful and starting next week I will be too busy coaching to go to shows.  I bought five Kellogg's cards - a Gullett, a Hargan and two Washingtons.  That was a nice surprise.



1 comment:

  1. I used to play this baseball simulation game back in the early 80's on my Apple II and I totally remember using Gullett and the 1975 Reds, because they were so stacked. Haven't given him much thought since then, but that's pretty cool that he has the 7th highest career winning percentage.

    ReplyDelete