Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, January 29, 2018

A New Twist on My 1971 Baseball Variations?

I got a few new variations today and a few upgrades.  When I buy a cheap lot online I don't even look to see if I need the variations until they arrive.  This was the case with the six 1971s that were delivered today.

The Alex Johnson shown below on the left was not an upgrade, but it was a variation that I needed. 



The new version is in horrible condition.  That's okay by me.  I didn't notice anything else about it until I added it to the other cards in my not-yet-completed master set.  The damaged one doesn't have "1970 Xograph" on the back - it just has "Xograph".  It also has the CA logo instead of the Angels logo with the outline of the state of California.  




The picture above is not a mistake.  I flipped both cards over (horizontally so that the front is still properly facing up) and found that the one on the left is printed with the picture on the bottom left while the other one has the picture on the top right.  I have at least 300 damaged 1971s and all of them show the picture on the top right. 

Does anyone else have any examples like this? 

If you've been reading my blog, I've got nothing better to write about than to look at stuff like this.  If there are variations of everyone like this, then I will never finish this master set and I will wish that I never noticed this oddity. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh bummer! Hopefully it is only a one off thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what I am hoping for with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Oscar Gamble have any Kellogg's cards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but he had some great Topps cards. He also shared a birthday with me. Unfortunately, we never got together to celebrate.

    He hit 200 homers, his first with the Cubs and his last with the White Sox.

    I was surprised to see that he finished only 29th in the MVP voting in 1977 when he was with the White Sox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 1977 Team was a Beast ! Enjoyed ever game as I turned to a CUB Fan after that Season..lol

      Delete