Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, October 21, 2018

1978 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #34 - 36

Back for a look at a few more card backs from the 1978 Kellogg's baseball card set.

#36 - Tommy John



I didn't know that he won the last playoff game against the Phillies, but it doesn't surprise me.  

When I start making my own Kellogg's cards with Photoshop I would like to make a change to this card.  It's great that the card mentions that he missed all of 1975 due to arm surgery.  I'd like the stat line to appear as follows -

1975                         Did Not Play  -  Tommy John Surgery.  




#35 - Dave Goltz




Great to see the Minnesota native play for the Twins.  I like that the scout is mentioned by name too.  Too bad that they mentioned that there were many doubters of Goltz.  His 20-win season certainly quieted them.

Not on the card - he won 15 and 14 games in the next two seasons.  Then he signed with the Dodgers.  He played from 1967 to 1983 without ever being traded.  He was a free agent twice.




#34 - Reggie Smith




Smith's hobby - working with plastics.  What does that mean?  Could he have helped create the plastic coating for his own card?

He is currently second only to Mickey Mantle in career homers by a switch-hitter.  Mantle got mentioned on a few cards without having his own.  He hit three homers in the World Series in 1977.  

Not on the card - current leaderboard for HRs by a switch-hitter - Mantle still leads with 536, Eddie Murray 504, Chipper Jones 468, Carlos Beltran 435, Mark Teixiera 409, Lance Berkman 366, Chili Davis 350, Reggie Smith 314.   I didn't realize that Chili hit so many homers.  Yes, he was just fired by the Cubs.  

Not on the card - he had six World Series homers.  



2 comments:

  1. Love the Luzinski card! So if one is a Sillies fan as I am, you can eat at Bull's BBQ. Luzinski followed in Boog Powell's footsteps by lending his name to an eatery at Citizens Bank Park. He's there quite a bit interacting with fans.

    Love the create your own Kellogg's card idea. There are lenticular printing services on the web. Don't know what that would cost. But we need some 70's Hank Aarons! Especially a 75!

    I'd love to do my own All Time Greats set as well.

    And yes... no surprise that the Dodgers beat the Phillies. Philadelphia won their division 76, 77, and 78. Did NOTHING in the playoffs. Then my grandmother passed in 1979 and gave the baseball gods a piece of her mind. 1980, baby! I wonder who finally got in the baseball god's faces about the Cubs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boog does/did a great job with the fans. Glad to hear that Bull is also. Your grandmother did good work. It must have been lots of people about the Cubs.

    I don't know if I will print things, but I certainly plan to make some cards.

    ReplyDelete