Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Has Anyone Been to a Show at the Hillside Holiday Inn?

The Chicagoland Card Collectors Club (I can't remember their official name) had card shows in the 1970s at the Hillside Holiday Inn.  I think they had them every other month.  The show included free autographs from whichever player they convinced to attend. 

I didn't spend time in that line often because the mountains of cards on the dealer tables always drew me to spend my paper route and caddying money.  I do remember JC Martin being there because he handed us his World Series ring to try on for size. 

Why did I decide to write about these shows?  The name of the hotel has changed, but I drive by it every day now as I head home from work.  I don't remember purchasing any Kellogg's cards there other than a Ron Santo, but it is possible that I completed my 1974 set from those shows.

Why wouldn't I remember buying 1970s cards there?  At those shows my friends and I rarely bought anything that was newer than 1969.  Dealers didn't really carry lots of new cards.  We'd buy everything from T206s to 1960s stars.  Too bad for me that I always went for the cheapest cards without regard to condition.  I'm still that way today.

Most tables just had stacks of cards separated by year and/or prices.  I'd usually go there with about $30 and I'd come home with about 30 - 100 cards depending on any big purchases.  For me a big purchase was anything more than one dollar.  I remember spending $2 on a T206 Christy Mathewson, a card that I still own. 


5 comments:

  1. Isn't that the hotel just north of 55 on Kingery (83)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. $2 for a T206 Mathewson? Wowza. Good times. I really miss the Holiday Inn shows in my area. They pretty much died out either in the late 90's or early 2000's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, there was a Holiday in there that had lots of shows in the late 80s - early 90s. The Hillside one was at Wolf Rd. and the Eisenhower. (I-290).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I didn't think you could type the words "$2" and "T206 Mathewson" in the same sentence. I dreamed of finds like this... What was the condition of the card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was probably 1976. The card is not horrible. I ignored the cards in nice condition because they were probably as high as $10 each. I remember a dealer telling my friend and I who asked about a price for a 1933 Goudey Ruth - "you can't afford it". Well, it was $50 and we had a total of $70 between us. We didn't buy it - bummer.

    ReplyDelete