Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, January 5, 2023

#6 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Baseball Card Sets

 I keep going back and forth on #6 and #7.  I went with 1978 for #6.  I was busy with sports and I lost touch with my trading group so I didn't see extra cards often that year. 

I did find time to go to the most amazing card shop on Archer Avenue in Chicago - the Sports Collector's Store.  It was run by a few of the biggest names in card collecting.  For those of you who are older, you probably know who they are.  I still see at least one of them around at the big shows.

What I didn't see there, or at least notice, was Kellogg's cards.  Of course I never looked for new cards there.  I probably only purchased cards from 1969 and earlier when I went there.

Back to the 1978s.  I remember getting three Steve Carlton cards in one box of Frosted Flakes that year.  That would be great if I weren't a fan of the Cubs.  



I don't see as many 1978s cracked as I do other years, but there are still a lot of them.  I have a nice collection of cracked Mike Schmidt cards from 1978.  I could use some better ones.  Even one of my unopened Schmidt cards has problems - it is cut short on the right as compared to the card shown below it.  


I do like the card backs - lots of text and stats.  


My first unopened splurge was on 1978 Kellogg's cards.  I bought the entire set in the wrappers and I think that the Schmidt was normal.  With my luck, it is probably cracked too.

I bought another small lot of unopened cards and the card below was one of the first ones I opened since my childhood.  I certainly knew him from card collecting, but when the Cubs and White Sox had night games I always watched the Cubs.  "For all you youngsters out there" (thanks Steve Stone), the Cubs only played National League teams from 1946 - 1996 and before 1946 they only played AL teams in the World Series. 



I like the player selection in 1978 as compared to 1977.  It was a nice step back up to their normal solid checklist.


The Sutter card is one of my favorites.

5 comments:

  1. '78 is in the middle of the trifecta of Kellogg's sets that my two brothers and I ordered from the cereal box and then split them up between us when they arrived, the others being '77 and '79. I love '78 for that reason. It's also very unlike most of the other sets, especially at that point and I like it for that reason too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be great to hear about how that split went. Did someone pick a card just to then trade it? Did each of you get the guys on your favorite teams?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid, I would have been so confused if that Sutter landed in my hands. I was so used to seeing him with that fluffy beard... and him wearing a Cardinals or Braves uniform. But that Cubs card sure does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another sad reminder of my age because the cards of Sutter with a beard look odd to me, especially in a Braves uniform.

    ReplyDelete