Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, January 2, 2023

Surprising End to the Year - Two Things I Didn't Expect to Add

A few days ago I happened to be online early in the morning when I noticed a new listing for six 1971 Kellogg's baseball cards.  I quickly purchased the item since five of the cards looked to be in good shape and the sixth one was an unopened pack with Don Sutton inside.

I don't have a want list for unopened 1970 or 1971 Kellogg's baseball cards yet because I have so few of them.  I did get a decent number of 1970 Kellogg's football cards in their original wrappers, but I haven't move forward with those since prices skyrocketed during COVID.

The first five were actually graded and the color looked good.  I took a chance because the pictures weren't great.  Here is what they look like with a scan instead of a camera phone picture.


I hadn't even noticed that these were cards from the Benanti Collection.  I've been trying to find more cards from that former employee (Kellogg's / Xograph?).  I also didn't notice that they were blank back proofs.  I'd be a bit skeptical about the blank backs if they didn't come from this collection.

These cards show the great color that I mentioned I rarely see in 1971s and 1975s.  PSA has only graded 1,046 10s and 4,790 9s for the 1971 set.  That's an average of about 14 per card.  The 1970 Kellogg's set has about five times as many 10s and four times as many 9s.  

For a guy who doesn't really collect graded cards, I've ended up with a few recently.  That's seven 1971s in the last few weeks.  I only had five before that.  It will probably be many years before I get any more of these. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on adding these unique items to your collection. Never heard of the Benanti or his collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beckett was auctioning off a bunch of his items about 8-9 years ago. It included almost every uncut Kellogg's sheet imaginable and lots of proof cards. After a few auctions the Bennanti family decided to stop even though they had lots more stuff to move. Beckett people told me they might not have been happy with the prices they were getting in the auctions.

    ReplyDelete