Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, January 1, 2023

#9 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Baseball Card Sets

Happy New Year to all.  I wrote this post on the 30th since I might be busy eating donuts today. 

The color scheme of 1977 is such a drastic shift from other years.  


That alone wouldn't drop it toward the back half of my list.  The player selection also factored into my decision.  Before COVID, this set could be had at a good price and I think that part of that is due to the player selection.

Here is a list of star players NOT in the set - Schmidt, Brock, Gossage, McCovey, Seaver, Jackson, Sutter, Rice, Ryan, Blyleven, Sutton, Simmons, Palmer, Eckersley, P. Niekro, Lynn.

Some of those players weren't included since they were not yet stars, they had a bad year or maybe it was unknown what team they'd be playing for in 1977.  But, there are probably only 20 cards in the set that I would have been happy to pull from a pack in 1977. 

Did any Kellogg's baseball set have a player selection that was worse than this one?  The 1971 football set comes to mind, which is why I ask about the baseball sets.

Like the sets from 1971, 1975 and 1976, the 1977s can look bad if the white border gets dirty / aged.


Campaneris was an under-appreciated player, but we all knew him well from the early 1970s World Series games.

2 comments:

  1. A donut right now sounds awesome. Hope you're enjoying them. As for 1977... I like how the orange border pops out against the white background. And that Campy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to get fit, so the donut is not going to happen. If I start with one I end up eating six.

    ReplyDelete