Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, March 24, 2016

Does Anyone Remember the Name of This Game That I Played But Never Owned?

George Sisler was born on this day in 1893.   When I was a kid I read about lots of different players.  I never did see a book about him.  How did I hear his name?  There were two ways I heard about his career.



The first way I heard about him was in the 1972 Kellogg's Set.  The set included Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Cy Young, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby and Walter Johnson.  Anyone included with them must have been an amazing player.

In the winter a few friends spent downtime playing a baseball board game using stats from each franchise's all-time greats.  I can't find out the name of it yet but I'm not certain it was a version of Strat-O-Matic baseball.  Since they had the all-time teams for each franchise, we started to learn about all of the players.  That was my favorite part of the game.  

My friends ran a full season, keeping stats along the way.  I played the game at times but I wasn't involved in the season.

In the game,  it was easy to determine which players were the best.  On the best players the most commonly rolled numbers were likely to get them a hit.  I remember that 19 was the toughest number to roll.  If a guy only could get a homer on a roll of 19, he certainly wasn't much of a home run hitter.
I'll need to add that to the list of games I'd like to find.  I think I have a 1970s Strat-O-Matic game but it doesn't resemble this one.  I think the highest number was 39, but I can't remember if the lowest number was 10, 11 or 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment