Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, December 31, 2016

Lots of Us Know Someone Who Didn't Get to See the Big Game

Something I wrote for myself in the summer and fall of 2016.  I hope everyone gets another change for another "catch" with that special loved one just like in Field of Dreams.

"Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville -  ........."

Thanks to Ernest Lawrence Thayer for the words above and allowing me to butcher his style with the words below.

In the Comiskey Park picnic area we used to sit and play,
eating Mazzone's italian ice and watching Carlos May;
We always went to give-aways, thanks for doing that;
I love the coffee mug,  I wish I still had the bat.

Trips to Wrigley Field were amazing; an adventure every time,
Riding the train and watching the lovable Cubs nine;
I was partial to outfielders chasing flies in the sun;
But you said Ron Santo was always your favorite one.

In the bleachers we basked in the sun - not yet in the stars,
Getting autos at the green gate and at the players' cars;
I'll always think of you when I go to grab my glove,
And whenever I heard the 70's song Radar Love.

You gave us Flash, your car and trips to Lake Pukaway;
You officiated many sports and coached baseball without pay;
The Sugar Bowl was fun and card shows were amazing;
CB radios in your car and in our room were always entertaining;

I wonder who you spoke with that last long night on the train;
All of us wish we had been there walking in the midnight rain;
I'd guess you talked about the trains, and the Cubs promising season;
You were probably mentioning your kids for so many reasons.

We last went to Wrigley Field way back when the lights were new;
I'll think about you the next time I'm there and I'll be missing you;
Neither Ernie or Ron remained with us to enjoy the day with the fans,
but I hope all of you are celebrating like only you three can.

I've driven down that street you walked that last day,
wondering what you thought that early morning in May.
There is still no joy in Mudville, since it is in Ohio.
It is still easy to envision your World Series victory smile.

When it came to the ninth Casey may have been at bat,
But you were always there for me doing this and that;
Thanks for everything that you were able to do;
There will be joy in Mudville, If I can be a brother like you.

There is no joy today, tomorrow more of the same;
We are deeply saddened, that you're out of the game;
Today one of my longest ever hug with our mother,
because she already misses you immensely big brother.
***********************************************************************

The Cubs had a parade yesterday; I didn't get to see it;

You did a lot for me I wish I did more for you


No comments:

Post a Comment