Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, March 19, 2018

1972 Kellogg's Baseball Card Back #39

I am skipping around on the 1972 Kellogg's baseball card set and looking at card #39 today only.  Why?  No, I'm not turning 39 - I wish!

Is 39 the number of pounds I can bench press?  Sadly, that might be close to the truth.

Card #39 is Cookie Rojas.  I've given up cookies, cakes, candies and similar items as I try to get in shape for a marathon in the fall.  I came home to my teens making chocolate chip cookies.  Of course the smell is now everywhere in the house since one can't open windows in Illinois until June.




I need a better version of this card back but I'm too busy avoiding the scent of cookies to find it.

Rojas is primarily a second basemen, but he has played all positions in his career.  He played seven seasons in the minors before making the majors.

Not on the card - that means he was a 17-year-old in the minors. 

I checked baseball-reference.com.  He did play every position at some point in this career.  Even after this card came out he managed to DH 16 times once that came into being. 

The card didn't mention his quick moves from Philly to St. Louis to Kansas City.  He was traded at the end of 1969 to St. Louis in the Curt Flood trade.  Then in June of 1970 he was sent to K.C. for Fred Rico. 

Why was he sent to K.C.  He batted .106 in limited action over 23 games.  Fred Rico never played in the majors after 1969 and Rojas was named to the All-Star team from 1971 - 1974 with K.C.

Milk goes with cookies.  Maybe in October.   At least I can eat the Fruit Snacks that I just bought.  The kids better not expect me to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment