Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, March 18, 2018

One of the Earlier Underwear Models from MLB

Those of you old enough to remember probably quickly thought of Jim Palmer since he had his own lone of Jockey underwear sometime during the 1970s - 1980s?  I recently picked up a bunch of 1976 Kellogg's cards of Palmer in really nice, flat condition.





One of my athletes started reading this blog last week.  I warned her that I rarely talk about much other than baseball cards, but she kept reading on.  So I might as well add something about me.

When one of my kids needed a physical for summer camp I took them to one of those drugstores that can do this without an appointment.  I found out that I needed a physical too.  Since it wasn't a complete physical and nothing about it was intimate, we were all in the room together.

I've been involved in sports for all of my life and I've been a runner since high school.  I've been blessed with good feet I guess. So, it didn't come as a surprise to me when the nurse told me that I could be a foot model.

I took that as a compliment for about five seconds.  The sarcastic person in me immediately spun it the other way and as soon as the nurse stepped out of the room I had one thing to say to my kids.  My immediate reaction was that she thought I could be a model - only from the ankle down.  That is no longer a compliment and unfortunately probably a true statement.

Sadly, she's probably correct.  That was never more clear than when I was asked how I met my wife during a team dinner on Friday.  I mentioned that I met my wife after a race in 1988 and that she met me in 1989 at a track workout.  How is that?  My wife doesn't remember meeting me in 1988.  One of my runners quickly retorted that why would she remember a scrawny, distance runner who didn't even with the race?  She'll regret making that comment during tomorrow's practice.  FYI - my wife refused to refute the athlete's thoughts on the matter.

If Al Bundy can be a model then maybe there is hope for me.  But, I never scored four touchdowns in the city championship high school football game.  I did exactly the opposite in freshmen football - during the few times I entered a game I never touched the ball at all.  In fact in the entire season I only touched a football once in practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment