Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, April 23, 2015

Finally Tested the 1970 Kellogg's Baseball Card Team Iron-Ons - It's Different Than Eating 1980 Topps Gum

It took a long time, but I finally tested whether the 1970 Iron-Ons would work.  I received handkerchiefs as a present recently.  Luckily, I don't really use them so they made the perfect backdrop for my experiment.

In 2005 I bought and opened a pack of 1980 Topps baseball cards.  I don't remember who I got in the pack, but I remember a lot about the gum.  Why?  Because I tried to eat it.  I can still taste the nasty, crumbling gum as it was sticking to my tongue with a chalk-like consistency.  The Iron-Ons probably would taste better.


I have a lot of these Iron-Ons because I've opened about ten packs of 1970 Kellogg's in the last two years.  I chose two stickers that were cut poorly - the Atlanta Braves and the New York Mets.

Here are the instructions:



1.  Place LithoFusion Iron-On transfer white side down on item to be decorated
2.  Press firmly for 10 seconds with a hot iron (cotton setting 320 degrees)
3.  Let the transfer cool for at least a minute
4.  Peel off the backing paper
5.  If edges are not secured, replace the paper and repeat steps 2-4
6.  Do not iron directly upon finished application



Steps one, two and three were simple.  Peeling off the backing paper became the big moment.   If you look closely at the pictures, there was some success, but things didn't go perfectly.



I attempted the Braves first.  The edges weren't perfect and there was one poor spot.  The Iron-On was sticky on top and there were a few loose spots.  So, I tried to iron it a bit more without the backing paper.  Instead, it was ironed with just part of the handkerchief between the Iron-On and the iron.  That took a bit off the top of the logo. I won't do that again.



I tried a few different things with the Mets Iron-On.  I pressed for a few extra seconds.  As a result, the Mets Iron-On was not sticky on top.  I still lost part of the logo.



Overall, I'm happy with how this ended up.  Next, I will need to see how this handkerchief survies the laundry.  If that works I might try to put all ten Iron-Ons on one handkerchief.  This experiment with the Iron-Ons ended much better than the 1980 Topps gum test.



No comments:

Post a Comment