Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, July 2, 2018

1991 Kellogg's Leyendas Card Backs - Part 7

Today's Kellogg's Leyendas card features a player who I would have never guessed would be included in this set.  Why?  I don't remember ever hearing him speak and his name certainly made me think he might be from the USA.  I didn't get cable TV until 1987, so sports news was limited to local teams and championships.   Ed Figueroa didn't fit those descriptions too frequently.

He pitched in the post-season from 1976 - 1978 with the Yankees.  His record was 0-4 in seven starts.


Another AL-only player, I saw him play a lot less than I saw NL guys.  So, I was surprised on the card to see his career record of 80-67.  He did that in only eight years including one 20-win season.

He was the Yankees winningest pitcher from 1976 - 1978 and he was the first Puerto Rican pitcher to win 20 games in a season.  His MLB career was shortened due to elbow surgery though he did pitch in Mexico after recovering.

Not on the card - he pitched in the minors from 1966 - 1975 and from 1981 - 1982.  He spent time with the US Marines in Vietnam.  





No comments:

Post a Comment