Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, July 12, 2015

How Did My Younger Brother Get to an All-Star Game Before I Got to One? What DId He See?

The AL scored 13 runs on 15 hits to crush the NL in the 1983 All-Star game.  I remember watching it on the old, horrible television at my parent's house.  My brother had the luxury of going to the game with my sister, who wasn't much of a baseball fan.

My sister entered my 12-year-old brother in some kind of contest to win tickets to the game.  I may have some of the details wrong, but either way the two of them were among the winners so they attended the game at Comiskey Park.

They saw an All-Star game record 13 runs by the AL.  Not that I'm jealous, but when I went to an All-Star game at Wrigley Field I was the most boring game in the history of the All-Star game.
They also witnessed lots of ceremony since the game celebrated the 50th anniversary of the first All-Star game in 1933.

Dave Stieb was the winning pitcher in a 13-3 AL Victory.



The big news was Fred Lynn's grand slam off of Atlee Hammaker.  Hammaker's name sounds like someone who would get a grade of at least 94.50 on every math test ever.  Unfortunately for him 94.50 was his ERA for the game.  He gave up 7 runs and recorded only two outs.   Jim Rice also homered off Hammaker.




Hammaker did have a 15-year career in which he played parts of 12 major league seasons.  His career record was 59-67.

Check out the list of pitchers who were selected for the game and those who played.  Not many stars were involved at all.  A future post will examine years when the All-Star game ended up without star players.


No comments:

Post a Comment