Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, July 9, 2015

Who is the Sy Berger of Kellogg's Cards and Can I Talk to Him?

Most collectors have heard of Sy Berger who worked for Topps for over 50 years.  Sy is known as the father of the modern-day baseball cards.  He was the guy at Topps forever.  Mr. Berger passed away last year but he had already passed along a great history to many people in the hobby.



Is there someone at Kellogg's who drove the card-making process for all of those years?  Does anyone know where I can find some of this information besides contacting Kellogg's?

Is there a place to find articles on Kellogg's from older magazines like The Trader Speaks, Sports Collectors Digest or any other vintage magazines?  Can I do company research on the companies that printed the cards?  Should I check newspaper archives?

This is a long-term project but I was appreciate any suggestions.

My number one priority at the National will be to ask this question to any of the major vintage dealers.  I will let you know what I find out.

Things that I wonder about......

How did they select players?

Did they struggle to sign certain players?

How were they distributed - any single-prints?

What happened to cards 1-3 in the 1976 set?  That could not have been their original plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment