Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, July 29, 2015

PSA Graded 1989 Craig Biggio Cards and Grading Kellogg's Cards

My first PSA card is shown below.  I bought this at the National Card Show a few years ago just to see how it compared to cards in my collection.  Not many 1975s that I see show the color of this one.  1971s also seem to have lost their bright colors as well.  In addition to 1971 not having a factory set, that's why both sets are expensive in nice condition.  


The 1975 set is my least favorite set.  Oops, I was supposed to save that for a separate post.  Most of the cards that I see are just not colorful at all like the Brett.  Many also have cracks.

At the National I usually see two types of Kellogg's cards.  The first is the high-priced PSA 10 card.  The other is usually stacks of damaged 1970 - 1972 cards.  I will report back tomorrow on how that goes.  

**************************

When PSA grading became popular I remember one of their full-page ads in a magazine.  The add showed a large stack of 1989 Craig Biggio cards that had been graded.  I thought that made no sense since the card was worth about 10 cents.

Now about 25 years later Craig Biggio is a Hall of Famer and that card is probably worth about 11 cents.  My first thought was there is no way someone paid to have those cards graded.  PSA must have been doing everything possible to get people to grade cheap cards.  I'd love to hear some inside scoop on how PSA got everyone to jump onboard for cheap cards.

I understand how PSA has helped people with old cards, expensive cards, one-of-a-kind items and items that have been counterfeited.  That is all great for everyone involved.

I went to PSA and checked their price report on 1989 Donruss cards.  They don't even bother to list anyone except Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr.  A Johnson in PSA 8 is listed as being worth $2.  So, one could only do well if the card graded as a 10.

Over 44,000 1989 Donruss cards have been graded including over 26,000 Griffeys and 1,695 Biggios.  Really!

How does my rant relate to Kellogg's cards?  I don't collect PSA cards, but I probably have about 15 in my collection.  The only non-Kellogg's ones are ones that were thrown in when I bought some Kellogg's cards.

Here are my PSA cards that might go on sale soon since I'm not a big collector of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment