Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, November 16, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #60 Rod Carew

As I start looking at the fine print on these cards I will first say that I've had a few challenges with this Rod Carew card.  Like many other first and last cards in older sets, I've seen it cracked and discolored.
I've also had a problem with the first set of unopened individually-wrapped cards that I purchased which was a 1980 set.  The Carew card easily fell out of the wrapper since they didn't use the same sealing method in 1980 as in other years.  I've found this to be a problem with lots of the unopened 1-card packs from 1980 and not from any other year.  Has anyone found issues with other years?

Also, as I start looking at 1980 Kellogg's cards, I have sets and singles available for trading.  I also have unopened packs of most players available for trade although the conditions of the packs certainly aren't perfect.

Back to Carew and the card back.  Ugh.  I will need to magnify these to be able to read them.  Even the card number is a challenge for me.



  He missed nearly 50 games.  He hadn't missed a lot of games since 1970.  He's hit .300 for eleven consecutive years.

He stole home seven times in 1969 and he has 189 career steals.  They still don't list stolen bases on the Kellogg's cards.

I hope that the remaining card backs have something more interesting to say and something more recent than 10 years ago for Carew.

I was guessing that after 1979 Carew probably didn't steal many bases so I was quite surprised to see his career total of 353 steals.  It turns out that the card has an error.  Carew had 289 stolen bases after the 1979 season.

I doubt that this card has been corrected, but I will go check it out.  I checked about 10 sets and cards on COMC and I didn't find anything other than the error.  That makes sense since it seems Kellogg's didn't make changes to mistakes in this set.  It also makes sense since most sets that I've purchased were probably factory sets, not hand-made ones.  Since the factory sets would normally be the last cards printed, if there were corrections to mistakes they'd probably turn up there.  Let me know if you have a corrected card.


2 comments:

  1. My eye sight is so bad. I don't even try to read Kellogg's backs anymore without scanning them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The card numbers on the 1980s are also so small that I need magnification for sorting. Just like Sportscaster cards.

    ReplyDelete