Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, November 24, 2019

Rosemont Card Show Post #1

I finally got to a big show where I had no time constraints.  I spent about 2 1/2 hours looking at as many things as I could and talking to some of the dealers.  I showed up with no particular lists or anything.  Even though I have some Kellogg's needs, Sportscaster needs and a few 1961 Topps to find, I just decided to enjoy the free time. 

These posts will mention lots of 0.50 items.  They all came from the same dealer.  It was fun to dig through his stuff and I didn't even look at his other sports. 

I stopped collecting new cards in the early 1990s.  The strike in 1994 helped extend that until I got my son some packs  around 2005.  So, when I was able to get some fat packs from 1996 Topps for 0.50 each I decided to grab a few.  I didn't recognize the wrapper because I'd never opened a pack from 1996 until yesterday. 



Without looking into all of the Prospects, there seem to be many big-name players in this subset.  



The Mickey Mantle inserts look nice too.




I decided to buy a $6.00 box on 1991 Score because I wanted to just open something cheap. 




I know that it isn't a valuable card, but I ended up with three cards of Chipper Jones. 



Getting the Roger McDowell card was the highlight of the box - since I didn't get a Mickey Mantle insert.  Why?  It brought back a great memory from when I used to go to way to many games at Wrigley Field.  




I used to attend about 30 - 40 games per year at Wrigley Field.  Then, I'd add about 10 road games in different places, especially St. Louis since it wasn't too far.  I always sat in the left field bleachers directly behind the left fielder.  I sat with the same fans almost every Sunday and I'd get to a lot of the Saturday games too.  When night games started I added lots of those too.

On one day I decided to bring my Ewell Blackwell model glove to the park for batting practice. 



This glove was from the late 1940s so it probably wasn't going to help me catch anything for a few reasons.  First, there is really no pocket so catching the ball would probably involve it hitting my hand directly.  Second, being 350+ field from home plate meant that the ball would be coming in fast and I didn't want a broken hand.  Lastly, I am left-handed, so I am not as good with a right-handed glove as it is.

So, how does McDowell fit in to this?  He was shagging for the hitters and he spotted my glove.  He asked me to throw it down to him on the field.  I hesitated until he said that he'd throw his up to me.  He did and a few of us used his glove while he struggled to catch anything with the Blackwell model. 

I hadn't thought about that day in a long time.  Good memories. 

I bought some Kellogg's cards but this was my favorite thing from yesterday.  Tomorrow I will mention the Kellogg's cards that I picked up.

2 comments:

  1. Those packs look like a lot of fun to open.

    Nice grab. I hope you had fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on pulling the 65T Mantle refractor! That thing is sweet. And that's really cool that McDowell wore your glove. I guess you own a true piece of baseball memorabilia.

    ReplyDelete