Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Old Picnic Area Was Not Like Those Seen in Ballparks Today

I decided to continue organizing my collection.  Today I worked through oddball and oversized cards.  They have always just ended up in different places, so I don't know what I really have.  Some of these items could be in my attic with other junk.  I probably will work on that over Spring Break.

I've mentioned collars on uniforms and Old Comiskey Park a few times.  Here is a great photo showing both with a late 1970s White Sox jersey.


I really wanted to show the left field wall at Old Comiskey.  Why?  I've mentioned the picnic area and the Carlos May card clearly shows the screens under the stands in left field.  The picnic area was quite low frills.  There were cheap picnic tables pushed up against the wall under the screen.  We'd just sit there eating our Italian Ice cones.  

If my family was being annoying and I couldn't enjoy the game I would get the cone and stay there for a few innings. 

Today there are plenty of picnic areas and other places to hang out away from the seating areas.  They offer lots of amenities to keep fans happy.  Back in the 1970s I was quite content with $1 for the cone and some time watching Carlos May play the outfield.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Old Comiskey provides you with some great memories... just like the Oakland Coliseum does for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good memories even though I've always been a Cubs fan.

    ReplyDelete