Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Most Damaged Kellogg's Card That I Own & My Odd Sorting Methods



I wish I had a good story about how this card got this way but I am not the original owner.  Bob Costas talked about carrying a 1958 All-Star Mickey Mantle in his wallet.  On some late-night talk show he pulled it out and it looked like this card.

This card reminds me of the Old Judge and other pre-WWII cards.  I wasn't sure I would be able to put it in a nine-pocket sheet because I thought it was going to break into pieces.  

I never flipped cards or put them in my bicycle spokes.  Mine got damaged for a few reasons.  First, I read them a lot and sorted them in different ways frequently.  Second, since we didn't have hobby supplies, we used photo albums with the sticky backing.  When leaving a card in there for a while we found out that the color leaking into the sticky backing.  That certainly took a toll on some of our best cards in the mid-70s.  

Now to sorting.  Kellogg's cards are easy to sort because the sets are small.  As I mentioned before, some of the card numbers are really small and my old, overworked screen use eyes can't always handle that depending on the lighting.  What did I do?  Revert back to my favorite sorting method from my childhood.

It helps being in an area with two major league teams.  I show my age by sorting the cards into the four divisions - AL East and West and NL East and West.  Then I pull up the checklist online and I can easily put them in order.  It keeps me from looking at the fine print at all.  





2 comments:

  1. I used an old photo album my mother gave me to store cards. Wow. Totally forgot about that. My first cards were heavily handled, because I too would sit down and sort them by team or by number... and all the while sitting there on the floor reading the backs and learning about the players. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor was definitely the most likely place to sort cards. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete