Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, January 8, 2021

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #25 - 27

I will check out three more card backs as I look forward to checking out another older Topps set on the weekend.  Back to the card backs that I cannot read easily.  

#27 - Carl Yastrzemski





Everyone already knows a lot about these guys.  In 1979 Yaz reached 400 homers and 3000 hits.  He was only the fourth player at the time to do this.  Nice that it mentions the other three at this point - Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Stan Musial.  

He signed after playing at Notre Dame.  


Those with 400/3000 since 1980 - Dave Winfield, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken, Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Albert Pujols, Adrian Beltre.  Did I miss anyone?

#26 - Reggie Jackson




Confession - I loved candy bars but I never ate a Reggie Bar.  How about you?  They ended up making them for Griffey Jr. and I think a few others but somehow I never tried one. 




Of course Reggie's hobby is automobiles.  I think he had a big fire problem with his car collection. 

I love that Kellogg's called him a "crowd-provoking performer".  That certainly goes along with one of his best quotes - "fans don't boo nobodies".

He was averaging 17 steals per year.  That's great for a power hitter.  I mentioned on someone else's card that Jackson had 228 career stolen bases.

The card mentions his .297 average and the fact that he had yet to hit .300.  

Not on the card - he never did end up with a .300 season.  



#25 - Willie Stargell


Great uniform for the Pirate who is coming off a World Series win.  



Bowling and dancing as hobbies.  I think Kellogg's kept track of this so it gets boring when the same things are mentioned.




He is coming off a season of being the N.L.'s co-MVP, with Keith Hernandez, as well as being the World Series MVP.  Throw in the NLCS trophy for him too.  

His output shows that he has some good years left.  He ended up playing three more seasons, none of them full-time.

Outside of baseball he was involved in Sickle Cell Anemia fundraising.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the owner of the card shop I worked at in the early 90's had some Reggie Bars, but I don't think I ever tried them. I feel like by that time they were almost ten years old or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That didn't stop me from trying Topps gum that was around 20 years old when I pulled it from a pack. Not recommended by the way. I didn't get any good cards either.

    ReplyDelete