Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, January 29, 2021

Snowstorm Set #2 - 1977 Topps

 I taught on that day, but the time that I saved by staying home was used to check out some of my old cards that I haven't seen in a long time - probably at least 20 years.

When I went through the 1977 Topps set I realized that I didn't recognize lots of the cards.  I always knew that I had a lot less of them even though I did manage to complete the set.  I started thinking about why.  

That was my first summer as a caddie, so I was no longer riding my bike to stores that sold baseball cards.  Add to that a few injuries which kept me off my feet for a few weeks, high school sports and a teenage appetite and I guess I bought less cards that usual.  That didn't stop me from buying lots of cards in 1978-79 and 1981.  

Here are some of the 1977 cards that stood out in my quick look at the set.


A nice start to the set.  Lots of George Brett cards in this set.  One of my favorite Cubs too.


It didn't take long to find a card I didn't recognize.


I remember the back of this card since Topps had already celebrated this achievement against the Cubs on a 1976 card.


It seems like this should be a Joe Ferguson card.  I don't even remember Joe Ferguson as a Cardinal or Red. 


School dress code required collared shirts.  Good to see the White Sox comply.


Jim looks so happy. 


Tito and his bandana are in full view on another one of his cards. 


The All-Star logo works well again in 1977.



"You'll need to upgrade this card in your set since there is a huge gum stain" said no one ever to me in 1977.  


I don't know Mike but I love that scoreboard in the background.  They used to do a race before games and I have a picture of myself running with the scoreboard in the background.  


I don't know what happened to this card but it definitely is a mess.  I actually might upgrade a few cards in this set.  


The Sutter card was not a big deal when 1977 started, but Cub fans quickly liked this guy.  


This is how a Tom Seaver card should look.  


Not as many mis-cuts in this set for me.


Lemon's card doesn't show off the hat at much at this one of Francisco Barrios.


George Brett again.  


He got 3+ hits in six consecutive games.  


Ouch.  He was no longer a Cub at this point.  Traded.  Ugh.


Fidrych has it all here - Trophy and All-Star.  He was the talk of baseball for a while.


Zoinks.  This Brock card is worse than the Tommy John.  Since I plan to keep these cards forever, I might upgrade this one.  


Ouch again.  He leaves the Cubs and saves the American flag as a Dodger.



The Turn Back the Clock subset featured some of the great moments from different years.  From 1957 this is the best that they could find?  We new from a previous Topps subset that Mantle and Aaron were MVPs that year.  They didn't do something to warrant inclusion?



Everyone knew that Murphy was a catcher.



It looks like Kingman is admiring a homer.  Us old guys like to complain about younger guys doing that, but it must have existed a little bit back in the 1970s.


This does not look like Klu Haywood at all.  



Where was my quality control in 1977?  Kirkwood's card is a mess.


I just like this Niekro card even though there are hundreds of other shots just like it over the years.



Ken and his brother.  George is everywhere.



Bunting doesn't fit the analytics today so don't put it on new cards.  I do like this shot of Yount. 


One of the most well-known cards in the set and for good reason.  What a great shot. 


Nice to list Matt as an outfielder instead of as a pinch runner.  


Lots more games than at-bats for Matt.  I really like the layout of the back of the card.  



Not much to say about this Nolan Ryan card.  I just like it with the clouds.  



2 comments:

  1. I don't recognize Luis Gomez, but I recognize the Oakland Coliseum in the background. The Fisk is such an iconic card and my favorite of this bunch... but the Yount and Seaver are right up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to many stadiums but I didn't get to that one. I was slated to leave to see Mile High as well as home games for the A's and Angels when the 1994 strike hit the day before my trip was to begin. I didn't follow anything again until 2005 and that was only because my son became a White Sox fan. I've been to 32 now, but that includes two in many places and none in some others.

    ReplyDelete