Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, January 2, 2021

Why I Know Very Little About the 1971 Kellogg's Football Set and What I Am Doing to Change That

 There are a bunch of reasons why the 1971 Kellogg's Football set has not been on my radar.  Here are some of them.



1.  Everyone talks about the 1971 baseball set and how difficult it is to find.  I see the baseball cards offered more frequently than I see the football cards for sale.

2.  The set doesn't actually contain lots of Hall of Famers.  Kellogg's featured a lot of players who are unknown to collectors of today.  Many of them weren't known to me in 1971 since I was not yet nine years old.

3.  I have always focused on collecting baseball cards than any other sport.

4.  Since I made this set a long time ago and the cards are in top loaders, I never see them without extra effort.

5.  The cards I see most frequently are my off-condition cards since I keep them in my office.  Why?  I have that binder in an easy-to-find place.  


I have a solution.  I am going to make an off-condition set.  I realized that this is the only set from 1970 - 1979 where I have not worked on getting all of the cards in "well-loved" condition.  I just went through my duplicates and a few lots that I purchased in 2020 and sure enough lots of them are damaged.  

This should be a nice, cheap project for the new year.  In addition to getting the 13 cards that I need to complete the set, I plan to now be able to see this set in my off-condition binder.

If you have any of the following cards in lower grades please let me know.  Either way, it gives me something to search for this year.  

03 - Frank Nunley

06 Craig Morton

10 Gary Garrison

12 Fred Dryer

15 Joe Greene

23 Hewitt Dixon

26 Bo Scott

34 Ken Bowman

37 Curley Culp

41 Nick Buoniconti

49 Erich Barnes

51 Donny Anderson

55 Bob Griese


I don't know why I never noticed that I hadn't tried to get this set, especially since I'm working on or have completed all of the others.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever owned one of these... but I sure love the look of that card back. Kelloggs did a great job of cramming a ton of information onto such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if there is one that you'd like.

    ReplyDelete