Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, January 28, 2021

A Snowstorm Gave Me a Chance to Check out My 1970 Topps Set

I didn't feel like doing much after shoveling so I grabbed another set to check out between classes on an unplanned virtual learning day.  I will stick with the plan - just give my thoughts without any research.


The off-center cards in this set can look bad like the one below.  The line from above doesn't look good.  



The color of this checklist made it much easier to read than some other 1970s sets.  I didn't mark most of these ones.  For all of you youngsters (thanks Steve Stone), notice that it is the 1st Series. 



I had forgotten that they used cursive on this set.  No one uses cursive and I doubt that my students could even figure out how to write the letter z in cursive.  


The White Sox uniforms from the 1970s are all over the place.  They are blue, then red, then dark blue with softball shorts.  



The leader cards are great looking on the front.......




....but even better on the back.  Look how many leaders are listed 



When there is a tie, sometimes four leaders are shown.  How about this one with six?


The Kessinger card is one of those cards that just makes me happy to be a collector.  It looks just like it did when I was a kid.  


How do these line get so close to a card that is not that far off-center?



Lots of cards from this set show players at the bat rack. I do like that, but........


....way too many cards that are hatless or air-brushed like Sparky's.  That was always an easy thing to do when new teams joined the league.


We always were fine with getting managers that were once star players.



Like the Kessinger, this card really makes me want to go out and get more cards from 1970.


I always like the helmets without the ear flaps.



Getting a checklist that previewed cards that would be showing up later in the year was a tease.  Seeing that there would Sporting News All-Star cards was awesome, even if we only could see five of the position players on this checklist.


I really liked the card backs - a cartoon, full stats and a bit of text.  


Finally, the remaining all-stars.  


Two years in a row with great all-star cards.



The backs of the cards were great too. 


The Koosman does't look right to me.  Why?  The one I had in my box for years had the eyes burned out by someone who gave it to me.  



Hawk and his batting gloves.  


Floating heads in the team picture.  I want to look it up but I won't. This isn't the only time this has been done on a team card.



This is a pose we see more of in newer cards.  Someone maybe noticed their arm in this card.  


A classic pose.  I wouldn't like this for a common card, but for a Hall of Famer, that is fine.  



Photographer to his/her boss - "How can we make Mickey Lolich look really short on his card?"



The cartoon mentions that Selma was a cheerleader for the Bleacher Bums in 1969.  I have the record that they recorded from that season.  A bit premature since they didn't even win the division.  



Is Gene's real first name Fury?




4 comments:

  1. This set might be a little underrated by some. I really like it, though. Recently picked up that Vide Blue/Gene Tenace rookie card. Also underrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when I know both players on the rookie card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being disappointed with the design and color scheme when these were first released back in the the day. These were almost as ugly as '68 Topps. But I still collected them and I'm still trying to complete the set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the 1968s but I always liked the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete