Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, January 17, 2022

Topps Attempts at 3-D Cards - Part One

 I've been slowly attempting to collect the Topps 3-D products with two exceptions that will be obvious if you know my spending habits.  Let me know if I missed any other sets or insert sets that Topps included with its baseball cards.  I am going to skip the Topps On Demand cards from the last few years since I haven't followed any of those sets.   

I am also going to skip the Topps Opening Day 3-D cards for now.  I am collecting them, but I've never looked into what years they were included in packs.  I've got some research to do on that.  

1968

Some amazing cards that have been the blueprint for a few of the other Topps offerings.  I have a few of these, but I won't be trying to get the really expensive ones like Clemente.  Every card is actually beyond my budget at this point and they don't show up often.  



I have three cards but two are Willie Davis.  I'd be willing to trade it, but only if I get another card from this set.  FYI - this might not be my card pictured.  

1985, 1986 


There are those oversized cards that are quite 3-D.  I don't remember them going over well when released.  A box contained 24 packs and the sets had 30 cards.  I think that I have complete sets of both and an unopened box of both.  I remember it being difficult to determine if the pack had been opened already.  That's not a huge issue since there isn't much value in these.

Here are a few pictures from current ebay listings since mine haven't seen the light of day in a long time.







2011 Topps Lineage 

This 25-card set was inserted into the Lineage set.  It was designed to resemble the 1968 3-D cards.  I liked this set at the time and I bought some packs at the National that year and maybe the next year.  The set included only current players.  It had no players from the Cubs or White Sox.  Stars included Ichiro, ARod, Jeter, Pujols and Cabrera.

Another picture from ebay since I am not near my cards today.  I will need to check to see if I have all of these cards.  




2012 Topps Archives Inserts


Here is the another attempt at using the 1968 design.  Topps did a great job with these, other than maybe not choosing the best players.  They included Clemente, Mays, Ruth, Kaline and Mantle.  The other 10 cards featured current players.  


  
I completed this set.  I am working on getting three sets because it looks good in plastic sheets that way.


2017 Topps Heritage


Topps chose better players for this Heritage set.  I didn't buy any of these packs The 3-D cards were in quite short supply so it wouldn't have mattered.  I have none of these cards so far.



I remember these cards being expensive from day one.  A 15-card set sold on ebay recently for $325.  That is above my limit, but it seems like a fair price based on what I see for individual cards.  Players included Trout, Harper, Kershaw and finally a bunch of Cubs - Arrieta, Rizzo and Bryant.  








6 comments:

  1. Having some 1968 3-D cards is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lucky. It helps that I wasn't concerned with the grading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw those 1985-86 3-d baseball stars at a show last weekend. I could have had a box of them for a song, but I just don't know how in the world I'd store them. They seemed really flimsy and easily damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the only reason I have them. I think I got the boxes for $3 each at some point. I'm just leaving the in the original box since they fit. The box looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure wish the 1968 set wasn't so rare. I'm a huge fan of the design. By the way... in 1995, Topps released a product called Dimension III.

    http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1995_Topps_Dimension_III

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to check those out. I stopped collecting new cards in 1995 due to the 1994 strike so I never heard of those cards. I love the 1968 design too, but I don't expect to get many more of them.

    ReplyDelete