Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Favorite Kellogg's Card Sets - Why I Love the 1972 Set

When Kellogg's issued the 1972 set they made it smaller than the earlier sets.  My favorite size sets are those from 1972 - 1978.  Sure 1973 is a bit different but I like it anyway.

I like the design of the 1972 set.  I will rank them after I discuss them all.  







No, I don't own these sheets.  They were sold recently in an auction.  I picked up a few sheets.

I like the close-up view of the players on these cards.  The stripes also work for me.  The color of the cards in this set seems to have lasted better than some of the other years.

Of course I also like this set since these were the players of my youth.  I'd mimic these guys when playing ball at Scottsdale Park.  

The player selection is also one of Kellogg's best.  Hall of Famers in the set include - Seaver, McCovey, Jenkins, Palmer, Jackson, Hunter, Gibson, B. Williams, Marichal, Brock, Clemente, Stargell and Mays.  The set also includes Pete Rose.  

In many later sets, Kellogg's took chances by including players that had one good year only.  The 1972 set doesn't seem to have many like that.


Beckert jumps right out at you.  I love that Cub uniform.  


A classic card pose, but it's zoomed better than a Topps card.


That's how close he felt to batters on the higher mound in the late 1960s.


Not my favorite pose.  





No comments:

Post a Comment