Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, April 15, 2017

1973 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #43 - 45

Time for a few more Kellogg's baseball card backs.

#45 - Carlos May




I've written before about Carlos May since he was one of my favorites from my childhood trips to Comiskey Park.  I didn't know that any of his cards was so specific about his "service-connected disability".  It was actually during his playing career too.

I'd hadn't heard first base called the gateway before either.  His brother Lee played for Houston at this time.  Lee played from 1965 to 1982.  I always had trouble with him and Lee Maye who played from 1959 to 1971.  




#44 - Dave Kingman



Dave Kingman was always exciting to watch.  The 6-foot-6 infielder-outfielder hasn't found a permanent position on the field but he has a strong arm.  He's mentioned as a good base stealer.

Not on the card - he went to a community college that I taught at once.




#43 - Willie Davis



Davis liked golf and music.  Back then one couldn't do both simultaneously.  That's not a problem now.

He didn't hit .300, but he was "far from being a liability to the Dodgers last year".  Wow, who wrote that one for a guy who ended up with 2,561 career hits.












No comments:

Post a Comment