Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Collars on Kellogg's Cards?

If you are my age, you might remember that the White Sox wore softball style uniforms in the late 1970s.  Kellogg's cards from 1977 - 1982 feature these uniforms.  That makes sense since I checked and found that they wore those uniforms from 1976 - 1981.  

Everyone talked about the softball shorts that the White Sox sometimes wore during this time, but the shirts were odd since they incorporated a collar.  That can clearly be seen on Kellogg's cards from 1977 to 1981.  The same jerseys are shown on the 1982 cards, but the poses make it difficult to see the collar.

The last card with an obvious collar in the 1970 - 1983 Kellogg's set is probably Chet Lemon from the 1981 set.  I'd have to look closely or zoom in to see the collar on Lemon or Carlton Fisk.

 


The White Sox had uniforms with a built-in collar.  Who else could be wearing a collar on a Kellogg's card?  Probably some old-timers, but I will check the cards from 1970 - 1975 tomorrow.  Today I started with 1976 and found at least five other non-White Sox cards that feature a collar prominently.  I don't know if a few of them were built into the jersey, but here they are.  Can you name any of them without looking?

Hints --

1.  This Hall of Fame inductee shows up twice with a collared shirt. 

2.  Another Hall of Famer is shown with a collar.  If his poses were different I might have seen a collar on more than one of his cards.

3.  A third Hall of Famer isn't even a veteran yet when he showed the collar under his jersey.

4.  The fourth player made some big plays in the World Series during a 16-year career.  



As I mentioned before, I still use a Chet Lemon model glove.






Fergie Jenkins is sporting a prominent collar on this card as well as on his 1977 card, which game me the idea for this post.



Willie Stargell might be wearing a collar in other years, but the poses didn't make it obvious.



The collar on Gary Carter is hard to figure out.  Does he have two shirts under the jersey?

Long ago I checked out batting gloves on Kellogg's cards.  I guess I should check out batting gloves used by fielders as Carter is demonstrating here.



Joe Rudi's got the batting glove too.


4 comments:

  1. Maybe I was too young to remember... but I had no idea that players outside of the White Sox wore collars. Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the collars appear to be from warm-up shirts. We are all too young to have seen many players with collars on their jerseys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting Article ! Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will need to wait until tomorrow to check 1970 - 1975.

    ReplyDelete