Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, December 17, 2017

I Skipped a Card Show Today

I've been somewhat of a steady card collector since I was about six years old.  Today I decided to skip a card show even though I went running about three miles from the show site. 

Why?  Last time there the show had lots of empty tables. 

Sure, I'm spoiled with options for a show at least a few weekends a month.  For those with no options you probably won't like my reason for not attending lots of shows near me.  My problem - almost every show has the same dealers in the same locations with the same items for sale. 

The big shows near O'Hare are certainly enjoyable, but other than the National, these shows tend to focus on the autographs, which is something I don't spend money on at all.  I still go to these since there are at least different dealers than I see around town.

How about you?  Do you have card shows nearby?  Do you attend them always, sometimes or never?

4 comments:

  1. I have a small monthly show in my city that is always the same dealers and mostly hockey. (I'm in Canada.) However, there is usually some oddball stuff at a few of the tables and I'll often pick up things here and there for fellow bloggers. I rarely add things to my own collection at that show.

    Now, if I want to drive three hours and meet up with Night Owl, then there are a few better shows for me to choose from in Syracuse over the course of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't collect new cards, so even the new packs that continually show up don't interest me very much. I usually buy a few packs of Topps baseball cards each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are only a handful of shows around me each year... and I only attend about half of them. I used to go to every single one... but now that I'm cutting back on spending... it's not really worth the drive. I will probably attend the next one that takes place in January... but it'll be more about seeing friends than actually shopping for cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great reason to attend a show. In the 1990s that was certainly the case for me when there were lots of shows around and big crowds. I'd always run into lots of friends.

    ReplyDelete