Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, December 31, 2020

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #34 - 36

 Back for three more 1980 Kellogg's baseball cards.  Yes, I am sitting home on New Year's Eve.  Luckily, that is the norm for me and it has always been the case.  

#36 - Cesar Cedeno

Oops.  The auto-detect didn't recognize the white border as part of the card.  I didn't correct that until later.  

I remember him being very good in centerfield as well as being a regular all-star with lots of steals.  It turns out he was an all-star four times and he won five Gold Gloves.  He also had 550 career stolen bases, good for 27th all-time.  


The back is a bit blurry but I don't want to re-do it.  I didn't notice that the front listed him as playing first base and centerfield.  He starting playing first base in 1979 and that slipped by me.  The card mentions him recovering from knee surgery.  That explains the position switch.


#35 - Pete Rose

This is the first Pete Rose card that shows him as a member of the Phillies on the front.  He is listed as playing first base.  Unlike Cedeno, I remember Rose him switching positions throughout his career and being an all-star at each position.



Rose had his 15th season of hitting at least .300 in 1979.  Ty Cobb did it 23 consecutive times.  I like that Kellogg's called him "Charlie Hustle" with his pursuit of Stan Musial's N.L. hit record.  

He was the first play to get 200 hits in 10 seasons.  Ichiro Suzuki did that in his first 10 seasons but never was able to pass Rose.  Cobb did this nine times, but remember Cobb played 154 (ish) games in a season and there were two seasons where the Tigers played a lot less games (1918-1919).  


36 - Claudell Washington

I don't remember him being around the White Sox for very long.  Maybe I missed something since I was caddying a lot at this point.  When I looked him up on baseball-reference.com I figured there would be less Claudells than Washingtons.  I found out that he is the only Claudell on the database.



He had three years of injuries from 1977 - 1979.  He jumped to the majors with the A's after only 215 games in the minors.  Baseball-reference.com shows him still being 19 years old when he made that debut.

He only played 32 games with the White Sox in 1980 before being traded for a minor leaguer.  He played 17 years in the majors for seven different teams.  



He passed away this year.  Check out his 1976 Topps and Kellogg's cards where he can be found wearing the A's green and yellow uniform.  

No comments:

Post a Comment