Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, December 18, 2020

Kellogg's Cards Competed With Hostess Cards from 1975-1979

 I was fortunate enough to be a kid during the Kellogg's and Hostess eras.  I collected both of these as much as possible.  With the Hostess cards I almost always cut out the cards from the panel.  Now I've been collecting the complete boxes.  

These boxes tend to be sold for some big bucks, so I am not chasing them very aggressively.  I've had a few opportunities to pick up small lots of these.  In doing so I've gotten a few duplicates.  If anyone would like to trade let me know.  I can come up with a list of duplicates.  

Does anyone else collect these full boxes?

Do people try to collect all of the different products/box combinations for each player?  

Does anyone ever see these for sale?



The 1976 Hostess set, shown above, is my favorite one. 


We had Ding Dongs in the Chicago area, but I'd never heard of Choco-Diles.  I am guessing that they were like chocolate Zingers.  

I really shouldn't be thinking about my favorites since I am trying to eat better.  Grabbing a Ding Dong, okay two, from the freezer really would be good about now.  

UPDATE - I saw a few lots were added on ebay yesterday, but I'm not ready to pay $10+ per box.  I have no idea about the value of the boxes, but I am certainly patient with this pursuit.



As one can see from my counts, I don't have lots of the full boxes or full back panels yet.   I do have duplicates from each year but shipping them isn't easy/cheap.

7 comments:

  1. Great memories of running all over Chicago looking for cards back in those days. I'd go shopping with my mom and pull out my checklist and say "Mom I need this box". Still have some cut boxes saved. Use to go to Twinkie resale shop and pick all the boxes out of the back of the store trash dumpster. good times!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really had a nice plan. I hope you found most of the set. Just like with Kellogg's cards, it seemed like our stores kept getting the same handful of panels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories of these cards. We used to flip the boxes to see who was on the back and bug my mother to buy them for us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, except most of the boxes had the same guys on them. I wasn't a huge fan of Twinkies, but I liked everything else including Crumb Cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collect them? Well... since I don't have any in my collection, I'll say no. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't add them to my collection if the price was right. I have at least four panels in my collection. 3 are 1975's and one is a 1976. I was debating on collecting the 1976 panel set, but wasn't able to find affordable lots on eBay. Ended up deleting that search a while back to make room for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that Ding Dongs mascot is excellent. I don't collect full boxes, but definitely see the appeal. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete