Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, December 11, 2020

Opening a Single-Card Kellogg's Baseball Pack - 1980 Kellogg's Pack Mike Flanagan


In 1980 the Kellogg's packs were sealed differently than in other years.  It hasn't worked out well for those who collected unopened packs.  Why?  When I picked up a Rod Carew card the two pieces separated and the card was no longer in the package.  I have gotten these cards from at least five different sources where this happened, so I think this is a common problem.

As one can see from the video, the front and back wrappers can easily separate while the card is still inside.  I have a bunch of these cards that have this same problem.  Lots of these wrappers are also discolored which makes them look bad compared to a clean wrapper.  

I don't know what Kellogg's did differently but I suspect they did so to save money.  Does anyone know about this?

When opening a pack from any previous year one had to actually tear the wrapper.  Notice in the video how it easily separated into two pieces.  Luckily, there are not any expensive cards in this set because I wouldn't trust them as original packs.  

I am not really using the YouTube channel much, but I wanted to test it since I plan to do something big over the weekend.  I have an unopened 1973 Kellogg's set in the original mailer.  Why do I plan to open it?  The package has been severely damaged so I didn't pay much for it.  I thought it would be fun since my parents would never fork over money to get me a complete set when I was a kid.

Sometime around 1973 I wanted to send away for two Hot Wheels cards.  I remember that it was 25 cents for the Snake and Mongoose cars.  That never happened for me.  Did anyone get those?  

Here is the only video I put on this YouTube channel before today.  It's a great commercial.  




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the opening of the 1973 Kellogg's set. As for the Snake and Mongoose cars, I was only a year old... so I'll guess I didn't get those. But I guess there's always a chance my mom did and I buried them in my sandbox.

    ReplyDelete