Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, February 6, 2022

1998 Kellogg's Basketball Packs Oddities and a Question

 


When I found out that there were packs of these cards and that a pack with Kobe Bryant on the front was only around $10, I figured I could chase all 56 possible packs.  I've seen other packs available for about $4 - $7 each.  



It's great that the back of the pack has a checklist.  They even separated the players of the NBA and the WNBA.  What I didn't notice was the difference in the cards.  The NBA cards were made by Upper Deck and the WNBA cards were created by Pinnacle.  The Upper Deck Logo can be seen (barely) on the bottom left while the Pinnacle logo jumps out on the top right of the card below.

I got a pack with John Stockton on top and I've seen about 20 more including the ones I picked up recently shown above.  I also opened a few packs and that led to my question.  Is it possible to find all 56 cards from the set on the top of a pack?

Why do I ask?  In each of the four packs that I opened, the WNBA players were the last three cards in the pack.  That's got to be due to the cards coming from two different companies, right?  Any ideas on this.

I've seen a variety of players on the top of a pack, but none of the WNBA players.  Has anyone seen this?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting you bring this up as I thought about a blogpost for the WNBA set but couldn't find it at the time so I picked a different WNBA set. I never pulled packs from the cereal but have both of these sets that were ordered from Kellogg's. I never noticed the sets were printed by different companies, nor did I notice neither one has a Kellogg's logo. Unfortunately, they didn't come with the checklist, but my sets match up with the checklist you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually only like the sets when they have the Kellogg's logo. Kenner did that with Starting Lineups. They switched to cards made by someone else with the SLU logo, then I think they had some without the logo.

    At least the pack is shown as Kellogg's since the checklist is included with each pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen these before. Did Kellogg's put their logo on the back of each card?

    ReplyDelete