Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, February 27, 2022

Another Reason to Dislike the 1980 Kellogg's Card Backs

 The 1980 Kellogg's set has a good selection of players and the cards are generally nice.  That ends for me when I check out the back of the card.  I've complained before about the small print that didn't bother me as a teen in 1980, but it's a different story when trying to read them today.

To add to the small text, the back has a tendency to be discolored.  Check out these, which I see constantly.



I placed cards that were not discolored on the left and right in order to highlight these ugly discolorations.  Even the cards that do not have this issue can still have some discoloration on the top edge as seen by the rightmost card.


An unopened pack from 1980 is shown above.  What an ugly mess.  This is not uncommon for the 1980 packs.  The 1979 and 1980 packs were assembled differently, with two separate, flat wrappers that must have been glued together.  It must have been cheaper to produce that packs from 1978 and earlier?  



As shown above, these two pieces separate easily today on the top and bottom.  It looks like they had those issues even when produced because I think that the top stains are from the cereal.  

I don't see these stains on the 1979 cards, so either the glue didn't work as well or it was related to the cereal.  The 1980 set looks to be only put in Raisin Bran cereal.  Was the Raisin Bran to blame, was it the wrappers or a combination of both?





3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check to see how discolored my 1980 set is. Haven't had Raisin Bran in years... but I'm actually craving it now.

    ReplyDelete