Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Off Topic Help - Michael Jordan Card and Autograph

I picked up these two cards in the late 1990s if I recall correctly.  I didn't think much of them since I got them in a trade.  I also don't seek out autographed cards.  

This Jordan card is from the 1996.  I just looked up the card and it doesn't seem to be valuable at all.  A certificate of authenticity is included from a place called Howards Sports Collectibles.  Someone told me that this is not enough to deem the autograph to be legit.  I don't find anything online that helps me confirm this.  Any ideas?

I picked up the Jordan card below at the same time.  Both came from someone I used to trade Starting Lineup figures with frequently. 

I heard that there were reprints of this card but I never found out when it was reprinted and how one can determine if the card is legit.   The only information I found mentioned that the reprint was done on thinner card stock.  I don't know what that means since I have nothing to use as a comparison.  Any ideas on that?



I have some graded cards, but I've never sent a card to any grading company.  What financial risk would I have if I send these two and if the autograph on the first card is fake and if the second card is a reprint?  I was thinking about this because there is usually some on-site grading at the big March show in Rosemont, IL.  

6 comments:

  1. If it were me and I was planning on keeping the cards, I'd keep them raw. But if I knew I wanted to sell or trade them, I'd get them graded. You could take both cards to a show and have dealers look at them. Maybe one of the specializes in MJ's signature or that Interlake set. If both are authentic, you're sitting on two really nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to scale back. I will probably get rid of most of my basketball, football and hockey cards, other than the ones I collected as a 1970s kid.

      It should be easy to get opinions at a show regarding the auto, but unless I see someone with the Interlake card, it is hard to know about mine. I read that the set was just two cards, Jordan and Orlando Woolridge. I already have a great Orlando Woolridge item - my daughter standing next to him when she was about four years old.

      Delete
  2. That auto does not look good to me. Your best bet would be to join some autograph or Jordan specific groups on Facebook and ask about both cards there but I don't think you'll be happy with the outcome on the auto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good ideas. I checked a few websites today that talk about MJ autos. I'd rather know about the card. I don't want to spend money to find out that it is a fake auto. When resolved I will probably make a video of me burning the card.

    I'm not a Facebook user and I don't plan to be, but I will look for groups like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could submit to PSA or Becket just to authenticate either, it'ss a high-risk high reward scenario.
    Like Fuji said, I would keep it raw until the decision to part with it is made. I'm not sure who would have faked that Interlake card back in 1990's, unless it carried the same price it does today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does it cost to authenticate? I did read that there are fake Interlake cards.

    ReplyDelete