Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, February 13, 2022

Making a Set vs. Buying a Set - Challenges of Small Sets

 I've always been a set builder.  Ever since I traded for a 1971 Billy Martin to complete that set back in 1971 (or 1972?), I enjoy that part of collecting.  Many collectors comment online about building Topps sets by hand even though it would be cheaper to buy the entire set.  I'm enjoying that with the 1961 Topps set.  I'm not sure about this approach with Kellogg's cards.



Yesterday I went through my doubles to see about making additional sets.  Why?  The sets are small and it is a fun way to stay involved. 



What did I think after making a want list?  It seems like for most sets, if I need the 2-5 most expensive cards it makes more sense to just buy an entire set.  If I didn't have the two 1972 Babe Ruths I could probably buy a set for about the same price as getting those two cards.  I did that with the 1972 All-TIme Greats a few years ago when those sets were usually $40 - $50 on ebay.


1973 is a perfect example.  For an extra set I need Rose, Ryan, Jackson and a few other Hall of Famers.  If I buy an entire set I will still have a partial set missing these stars.  Knowing me, I will still look to complete the set, so there is no need to buy the set.

Kellogg's sets other than 1970, 1971 and 1975 were quite affordable until a few years ago.  Does anyone think that these set prices will drop back to the old price levels of a few years ago?

11 comments:

  1. They may drop a little but I don't think they will drop back that much. I'm trying to complete the '76 set and the last 5 are pretty pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones do you need? Maybe I can help or someone else might have extras.

      Delete
    2. Gullett Seaver Bench Munson and Rose

      Delete
    3. Ungraded. I only own one graded card in my entire collection- 1965 Frank Robinson

      Delete
    4. Is there a story about why that is your one graded card?

      Delete
    5. I was visiting relatives in North Carolina about 20 years ago and was working on the 1965 Topps set -happened to find a card shop in the area and the only '65 he had that I needed was a graded PSA 6
      Robinson so I bought it.

      Delete
    6. nice. I now have almost one shoe box full of PSA or BCG cards, but I don't consider myself a collector of graded cards.

      Delete
  2. I'm all about buying complete sets... if it's affordable. Not sure if 70's Kellogg's will ever go back to 2019 prices, but I hope they do. I'd like to start working on my 1970 and 1975 sets again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding out hope that prices for the big stars and such will return to reasonable rates. At least for raw cards. If these "investors" want to pay 452% more for the same thing just because some company said it's a 7 and imprisoned it in plastic, then have at it. As long as I can still find nice 60s Topps commons for a buck or less and oddballs in the same relative range, I'm good. I would appreciate it if they would let certain vintage rookie cards come back to earth so I can complete my sets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly my story. I didn't look at my complete sets for years. I'm having fun doing that now. I only upgraded one card, 1974 Tigers Team, because it got ripped by those old boxes that didn't have a completely flat bottom. Remember those with the inside flaps? I am fine with off-centered cards. I like that as a kid I sorted my cards by team. Then when I got close to the set I sorted them by number. Yes, I used the checklists and I have no need to upgrade them to unchecked ones.

    ReplyDelete