Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, December 19, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #46 Chet Lemon



Another card where the front catches my eye.  This uniform is the style that the White Sox used when they occassionally wore the softball shorts in the 1970s.  



Chet the Jet (from baseball-reference.com) has Greek Mythology as a hobby.  And he told people that in 1979.  I had a difficult time telling people I collected baseball cards in 1979.  Also, for a guy nicknamed "The Jet" he didn't steal many bases.  He amassed 58 in 16 seasons.  So, let's leave that nickname to Benny Rodriguez.

He played high school football with the NFL's Ricky Bell.  Bell died of heart problems in 1984. 

Lemon had nagging injuries that kept him out of the lineup.

He was signed as an infielder but the White Sox moved him to the outfield.  Since he played in Chicago when I was a kid I got to see him frequently.  Sitting in the left field picnic area made it easy to appreciate his fielding skills watching through the fence.  Did anyone else ever sit there?

Not on the card - he was an all-star twice up to this point.  He added another all-star appearance in the 1980s. 

I always mention in my posts that I still use a Chet Lemon model baseball glove. 




No comments:

Post a Comment