Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, December 8, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #52 Johnny Bench

I went to a card show today.  I saw lots of people with 1970s stuff, mostly at closeout prices, but not much Kellogg's.  I saw a 1981 set for $20 and a 1972 Cookie Rojas.  I don't remember anything else.  I bought neither of these. 

Back to the 1980 set.  Johnny Bench is the next player on the list. 


I remember bench from TV commericals too.  He seemed to embrace his hobbies - bowling, singing and golf.  I remember him doing some singing on TV.   I also know that he played in some PGA Senior Tour golf events.  

I did't know about his bowling exploits but I found a video on YouTube of Bench in the ABC Superstars competition.  This was the bowling competition.


I loved watching the Superstars competition.  That bicycle riding on a 400-meter track was crazy.  The guys who could barely swim and would do it on TV was quite fun to watch.

Back to the card.  Kellogg's correctly saw Bench as a Hall of Fame inductee.  He already had the record for homers as a catcher.  

Not on the card - only Carlton Fisk and Mike Piazza have surpassed Bench's totals at the catcher position.  


Yesterday was Bench's birthday.  He turned 72. 

1 comment:

  1. Dang. I wish they still had this show on tv. I'd love to see athletes from different sports compete against each other in different events.

    ReplyDelete