Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, December 17, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #48 Gary Matthews



For some reason I didn't get many of the 1980 Kellogg's cards in cereal boxes.  I was actively collecting cards, but I probably wasn't lobbying my mother enough before/during grocery shopping on Saturdays. 

What would I have thought of Gary Matthews in 1980?  It is difficult to think that way since I've attended so many Cub games. 

Being in Chicago, having two older brothers who liked sports and having older sisters who got free tickets for their good grades, I went to lots of games on both sides of town as a kid.  After college, I started attending regularly when Matthews was in his last few years with the team.  Since I always sat directly behind him, that's how I remember his career even if he didn't play for the Cubs for many years.




Back to 1980.  What did Kellogg's have to say about him?  He did better than his team according to Kellogg's  I like how the card mentions his $1.2 million contract. 

He was mentioned as one of the first free agents in 1977.  After the 1976 season 32 players signed as free agents when free agency was just getting going.  The list included Hall of Famers Willie McCovey, Reggie Jackson and Rollie Fingers.  Ten years later there were 142 free agents signed.



No comments:

Post a Comment