Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, December 18, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #47 Fergie Jenkins




I'm supposed to talk about the back of the card, but I'm drawn to the jersey.  He's got a collar on the shirt.  That's something one doesn't see frequently on a card.



6-5.  He's a big guy.  Candian-born.  Another guy who recently had a birthday.

I hadn't seen him called "Fergy" before.  It was alway Fergie.  Did this ever get corrected or spelled differently on his other Kellogg's cards?

1972, 1973, 1977 - Ferguson or Fergy.
1975 - Ferguson only.

Did Topps call him Fergy?

1966 - 1968 - Ferguson
1970, 1973 - 1975 - Ferguson, Fergie.  Even the 1974 cartoon calls him Fergie.
1969, 1971, 1972 - Fergie

He even signed his Topps cards Fergie. 

Jenkins was around for my early days at Wrigley Field but he was gone when I started attending lots of games after college.  A few years ago I got into a skybox where he was the guest of a group of card collectors.  It was fun talking to the collectors even though I didn't say much to Mr. Jenkins.

Six consecutive 20-win seasons is impressive.  Those were the only winning seasons that the Cubs had in a 20-year stretch (1964 - 1983). 

1 comment: