Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, December 12, 2019

1980 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs - #51 Phil Niekro

Let's see what Kellogg's has to say about Phil Niekro.  The writers of Sportscaster cards certainly said lots of stuff and they didn't hold back - see this post.



Born in 1939.  Wow, this card is from 1980.  Can anyone figure out the oldest active player to be included in a Kellogg's set?  

The back starts by mentioning that he is 40 years old.  I guess if this card was issued before 04-01-1980 since on that day he turned 41.  

He became one of the few players to win and lose 20 games in a season in 1979.  He played in only 44 games but he had 41 decisions in 342 innings.  That's 7.8 innings per start.  

Not on the card - he led the league in both wins and losses in 1979.  Also, the Braves were 66-94 which put them into last place.  So, without Niekro's decisions they were 45-74.  




Who are the pitchers who have had 20+ wins and 20+ losses in a season?  Hint - one has been featured in Kellogg's sets.  Hint #2 - it has only happened twice since 1916.

Hint #3 - it has been accomplished 148 times, but only 11 times since 1900.  Two players who accomplished this also got Kellogg's cards.  They should be easy to name.

He became the ninth pitcher to win 20 games for a last place team.  I like that the card is making me try to figure out who did this.  Time to do some research. 

I found only a five players who won 20+ games for a last place team since 1924.  Niekro and Ned Garver (1951, St. Louis Browns) are two of them.  Two others were featured on Kellogg's cards the year after this happened.  Can you name them. 

The fifth one that I found was done in the 1990s.  Any ideas?




8 comments:

  1. 20 wins, 20 loses, and led the league in both categories... all in one season? That's pretty darn impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last player to go 20+ wins and 20+ losses also led the league in wins but he was one loss short of leading the league in both categories. It gets better. He lost out to a teammate. Yes, they had two 20-game losers. Does anyone know those two players?

    Hint - this is the player with a Kellogg's card. Somehow this team didn't finish in last place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the reasons I decided to write a blog was I wanted to continue to use my database skills. I wanted to do something fun with those skills, so that's why I randomly look up stuff.

    Since the 1930s there have only been three sets of teammates who have each lost 20 games in the same season. I was able to do the calculation without the names so now I need to try to figure out the other two. I doubt that I will but I will at least think about it for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guessed one of the teams, but not the pitchers. Think inept team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second one - same team. One of the same pitchers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only five players since WWII have lost 20 games in a season twice. Niekro was one of them and I would only have guessed one of the other four. I met my goal of using my brain today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wilbur Wood and Stan Bahnsen both lost 20 games in 1973. The Mets managed to have two pitchers do this twice in the 1960s. Al Jackson was on both of those teams.

    Stan had a birthday yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve Carlton, Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens won 20+ games for a last-place team.

    ReplyDelete