Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, December 30, 2022

#10 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Sets

 Everyone seems to know the story now about how the 1971 Kellogg's Football and Baseball cards were only found in cereal boxes.  There was no offer on the box to buy a factory set.  That has made them a challenge to find in nice condition but that is not why they show up here on my list.

Constantly seeing cards like the three 1971s shown on the top of the picture below has soured me on this set even though it is the most valuable one.  I have the football set in nice condition, but I haven't been seeking the 1971 baseball set in top condition yet. I am focusing on the variations in any condition I can get.  

The Killebrew and Brock pictured are better to look at, but they still have condition issues.



I am not much of a graded-card collector, but when I saw this Rick Monday, I had to buy it so that I could compare other 1971s to it.  It was refreshing to get a clean, colorful version of a 1971 Kellogg's card.  I'll have to check, but I've probably gotten about 10-20 nice ones, but the graded ones come by accident when I've bought a lot of cards.



Flat cards also seem to be a rarity with the 1971s.  


There are so many errors and variations in this set.  The backs look nice when clean, but mostly I find old, faded backs.  It seems like 90% of all of these cards have been in toy boxes for years.


At card shows, dealers rarely have many of these in nice condition.  Only 1971s and 1975s seem to be difficult to find in nice condition at larger card shows.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I own any 1971 Kelloggs cards that are in decent condition. And even when I planned on completing a run of 1970 to 1983 Kelloggs sets, the 1971 set was going to be the only one where I wasn't going to be picky about condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long-term I will probably keep all of my off-condition Kellogg's cards anyway. I like them more.

    ReplyDelete