Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, December 24, 2022

#13 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Sets - Missing Memories

I like the 1982 set for its pictures.  I don't see as much cracking or curling in this set either.  My favorite memory of this set is the Bob Knepper card that someone at home put behind a magnet on the refrigerator - it stayed there for almost a full year.  Maybe I will stick one on the refrigerator at my mother's house today and see if I get any comments.

So, why is it so far down on my list?  I was collecting cards a bit during this time.  I don't have any other attachment to this set since I was in college at the time.  For a long time I got the 1982 and 1983 sets confused.  No one has ever confused the 1981 Kellogg's set with any other one.


I actually opened more boxes of Kellogg's cereal than anyone I know in 1982, but I got no cards to show for it.  How?  In exchange for meals in college, I worked the breakfast shift in a cafeteria that served about 300 - 400 people per day.  When I started I was told that my looks were better suited for the backroom than the serving line.  So, I ended up working on the dirty dishes as well as restocking the popular cereal containers.  I can still smell the Cap'n Crunch, the most popular cereal at the time.  Did any of you have similar jobs?

Ten years later in graduate school one of the administrative assistants told me she was having a garage sale and that her son had some cards to sell.  I bought Kellogg's sets from 1979 - 1983 I think.  That was good because most of my collection at the time ended at 1980.  Before COVID I was able to pick up factory sets from 1979 - 1983 without paying too much.  

Does anyone collect factory sets?

3 comments:

  1. I worked at a card shop, a grocery store, and at a photo development place while in college. As for factory sets... I have a bunch, but wouldn't say I go out of my way to collect them. It's usually one of those... if the price is right kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was probably a fun time to work at a card store. Too many issues with security at today's shop.

    ReplyDelete