Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, December 14, 2022

#15 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Baseball Card Sets

 Okay, I guess this would be my least favorite set at this point - 1983.


The color scheme doesn't work great, especially when looking at a bunch of them together.


There are a few other reasons that I put this set 15th.  I don't have memories of finding them in cereal boxes because I was in college.  Second, they must have been placed in cereal boxes without a wrapper since they I haven't seen one offered in the wrapper ever.

Based on the 1982 Rookie of the Year voting, Kellogg's didn't do a good job with their selection of younger players.  Cap Ripken and Wade Boggs finished 1-3 but Kent Hrbek (2nd) is in the set.  Steve Sax won in the NL and Ryne Sandberg finished mid-pack, but runner-up Johnny Ray got into the set.  

Tony Gwynn played in 54 games and hit .289, but he didn't receive any ROY votes or a Kellogg's card.  Garry Templeton was the Padre in this set.  

Kellogg's did a good job showing colorful uniforms.  I am wondering though if a lot of the players are shown with practice jerseys.

1983 was another year without an Andre Dawson Kellogg's card.  1983's Cy Young Award winners were surprises and neither had appeared on a Kellogg's card - John Denny and Lamar Hoyt.

1 comment:

  1. I hope one of your readers remembers how these cards were inserted into boxes... if they weren't put into wrappers. Maybe they were put into plastic bags that were glued to the inside side of the box. Very interesting mystery.

    ReplyDelete