Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, December 29, 2022

#11 on My List of Favorite Kellogg's Baseball Card Sets

 I spent a lot of time with the 1979 Kellogg's variations because it is a fun, cheap thing to do.  I am still not done with it.  That was not enough to move this set up higher on my list of favorite Kellogg's sets.

I like the color of the cards that have a bright, white border and a bold, red Kellogg's name.  Yaz shows those colors.  


There was another printing that looked like a completely different set.  The bright white is now an off white and the Kellogg's name and stars are now in a dull orange. 




The Sutter card with the orange coloring is also quite thicker card stock than the red version, which seems to be the thinnest card stock to date (1981 will match it).  

This orange/off-white version of the Kellogg's cards is found in the factory sets.  I don't know if any of those found their way into cereal boxes.  None of my unopened packs show the orange coloring.  Can anyone confirm this?

This orange coloring and card thickness is quite similar to the 1979 Stop N Go football set  In both instances it is difficult to imagine that the designer wanted the names to look like that in orange.


1979 Kellogg's also began the demise of the sealed pack.  As shown by the photo below, the 1979 and 1980 packs didn't have the same sealing used in prior sets.  These two pieces were cheaply glued together and they separated easily.  I guess they didn't plan on people keeping them unopened.  They were correct in my case - I didn't keep any of my Kellogg's cards unopened.

I am guessing that there are less unopened packs from 1979 because the wrappers separated naturally.  Even if you planned on keeping them unopened, the cards decided otherwise.



The variations exist with the color scheme, the registered symbol (in a few different places), statistical differences, logo differences and text differences.  Ugh.  


Not only did the seals easily separate, the material used must have changed because they were easily discolored too.  The two shown below look better than most that I see.


Even with all of that, I am still chasing the variations, and unopened pack variations. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the bright colors of the 1979 design... well at least the red versions. I have come across some of those "dull orange" cards over the years and wondered about the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know what I've seen. I got a factory set with the dull orange ones. A hand-made set looks bad when it has some of each version.

      Delete